In our fast-paced business world, sales are the backbone of success for a company. Effective sales make it possible for an organization to grow and thrive. As a result, companies often invest in building internal sales development (SDR) teams to drive the pipeline and support the sales team. Building an effective internal SDR team comes with its own set of challenges. In this blog post, we will explore some of the common challenges companies face while building and managing an internal SDR team; and some unique ways a hybrid model (outsource + internal) can alleviate these challenges.
- Hiring the right talent: The first and most critical challenge is identifying and hiring the right talent. Hiring the wrong person impacts team productivity and the bottom line for the company. Companies need to be specific about the skills, experience, and personality traits they want in an SDR. The ideal candidate should have strong communication and problem-solving skills, work well under pressure and be highly motivated.
Outsourcing providers intimately understand the skillset required and can assist you by providing additional headcount to your internal SDR team.
- Training and onboarding: After hiring the right talent, the next challenge is effective training and onboarding. SDRs should understand the product or service offerings, the target audience, and the sales process. A well-designed training program can help SDRs understand their role in the sales process, and learn to communicate with prospects and customers. A thorough onboarding process can help new hires feel valued and motivated, and ensure they hit the ground running.
A quality outsourcing provider has a plan for both initial onboarding and ongoing training. TeleNet has an Operations and Quality team dedicated to training and uses tools like call recordings to refine the message and approach.
- Managing and motivating the team: SDRs often work in a high-pressure environment and need constant motivation and support to perform at their best. They work best in a positive and encouraging environment with regular feedback and incentives. This keeps the team motivated and engaged.
Outsource providers are familiar with these challenges and are focused on providing ongoing support and motivation to their teams. TeleNet SDRs particularly enjoy receiving client swag, which makes them feel a part of the larger team. When incentivizing SDRs, don’t lose focus on lead quality (an area TeleNet’s Quality team covers).
- Turnover and hiring challenges: SDR teams are often the first step in a sales career. This can create constant turnover as SDRs move into the sales force. Throw a hiring freeze into the mix, and the percentage of open seats increases. The impact of turnover and hiring freezes can be hard to predict, plus cause disruptions and make your team less efficient.
Avoid unexpected costs and disruptions to developing leads. An outsource provider will help ensure a consistent pipeline stream while you are working to fill those positions.
- Ensuring effective collaboration: SDRs work closely with other teams, such as marketing, sales, and customer success. Ensuring effective collaboration between these teams can be a challenge, especially in large organizations. It is essential to establish clear communication channels and set expectations.
Partner with an outsource provider with experience in creating a culture of collaboration to ensure that everyone is working towards the same goals.
- Measuring success: Measuring the success of an SDR team can be challenging, as there are various metrics to track, such as lead generation, conversion rates, and pipeline growth. It is important to establish clear goals and metrics upfront and ensure that they align with the overall sales objectives. Sales leaders must track and analyze these metrics regularly and make data-driven decisions to optimize performance.
TeleNet’s reporting is key to our client’s ongoing success. Harness the power of collective intelligence, where you and another independent source compare results, which drives new insights and ideas.
Building and managing an internal SDR team comes with its own set of challenges. Companies need to hire the right talent, provide effective training and onboarding, manage and motivate the team, tackle turnover, ensure effective collaboration and measure success. By working in tandem with a quality outsourcing provider, organizations benefit from their expertise and added bandwidth, creating a hybrid model that drives consistent pipeline growth and contributes to the company’s overall success. Additionally, working with the right outsourcing partner can result in growth in new ideas and strategies for your company. In addition to leveraging their services, you also benefit from decades of experience working with other clients, and knowledge of what works and how to execute.
Contact our team to discuss how TeleNet can help you alleviate any inhouse SDR challenges you are facing.